Wednesday, September 29, 2010

picnic table phenomenon

I have a back log of images to post, so I will start with the past and move forward.

Several weeks ago I had a startling realization that my day to day life was infiltrating my paintings. This came as somewhat of a surprise, due to the fact that my paintings are typically amalgamations of imagery from photographs that are at least 20 years old and can reach as far back as 60-75 years ago. However, when I was driving home from work, I noticed that the picnic tables at the end of my street were an exact copy of the picnic table I "made up" in the reflective driveway painting.




I am really excited about the idea that my brain is inserting my current life into these paintings. It actually syncs up with the idea that these paintings are giving past moments, captured in the photographs, new life in the present. I just had no idea that this newly "created present" would unintentionally contain my physical surroundings. 

In other news, I have been paintings some small little studies (2" x 3"), to play with color relationships.

        

Last, but not least I have shifted the two newer beach paintings, one more than the other. Two nights ago, I worked on both of these, and thought I had finished each of them. However, tonight I ended up erasing my mom out of the second beach painting. It seems so sad to me now, the remaining figure feels incredibly lonely, but I think the painting is stronger for it. I am not sure if I will leave her that way, but before anything else happens the current paint will need to dry a little bit. enjoy...

beach painting 1 ( the barely changed image, some signage in the middle and background)


beach painting 2 (the loneliest beach painting, before tonight's painting session and after)







1 comment:

  1. these must have been popular in the 70's b/c I sat on them everyday during elementary school for lunch! I hated them b/c I would hit my shins on the cement.

    ReplyDelete